2012年5月13日星期日

Dear Essence Quattro Eyeshadow I’ve Got Nothing

Advertisement



The Essence Quattro Eyeshadow palette in XOXO reminds me of Mariah Carey’s performance in Precious.

Why? Because it’s also shockingly good.

Let’s be honest — after Glitter, for which Mimi won a Razzie Award for Worst Actress despite basically playing herself in the film, I didn’t really expect much from her return to the big screen, but as a die-hard fan (I still have the Vision of Love single floating around here somewhere…on tape), I had to give her a second chance.


Yes, that IS Padma from Top Chef.

And I’m very glad I did. :)

I thought Mimi’s performance as a social worker in Precious, like the $2.99 Essence Quattro Eyeshadow palette in XOXO I tried today, was actually, well, pretty darn good!

Where Mariah nailed nuanced emotion, Essence nailed long-wearing eyeshadow, and both of them deserve a round of applause.

My track record with Essence’s other eyeshadows hasn’t always been great. I find many of their singles to be quite pretty, but I’ve experienced mediocre wear time and some fallout from them beneath my eyes.

The colors in the XOXO quad, however, seem to be cut from a different (and better) cloth.

Do I think it’s perfect? No, not perfect, but surprisingly good, especially for a penny shy of $3.

The shadows do feel a touch grainy/gritty to me, and I still detect some minor fallout, but no big deal. They’re so easy to blend, last a surprisingly long time and adhere to my skin much better than the Essence singles I’ve tried. Applied atop a layer of NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base, they stay put on my lids all day long, without fading or creasing at all.

I like XOXO so much now that I’m very curious about the five other palettes in the Quattro line. There’s even one called Vamp It Up – hello, right? :) It has a mix of yellow, blue, gray and purple that looks like a lot of fun.

On top of everything else, for $2.99 the price is also right. I can’t wait to try more!

PRICE: $2.99 each
AVAILABILITY: Available now at Ulta stores Denmark Soccer Jersey, Fred Meyer, HEB stores and also online
MAKEUP AND BEAUTY BLOG RATING: A-

Hair today…

Gone tomorrow! I’ve let my hair go too long, and now I can barely stand it. I feel like I’ve been walking around with an overweight hedgehog on my head, but I finally got my crap together long enough to book an appointment at the salon for a cut and color tomorrow. Good thing, too, because last weekend I came THIS CLOSE to chopping it all off with a pair of kitchen scissors.

That probably would have gone…poorly.

I’d like to try something different, something other than the long layers, bangs and highlights I’ve been sporting for a while, but I’m not sure what else to do… If you have any ideas or suggestions, please swing them my way.

Hope you’re having a good one so far. What have you been up to today?

Your friendly neighborhood beauty addict,

Karen

没有评论:

发表评论